SEF Gives Out $38,600 in Teacher Grants
The Sherwood Education Foundation (SEF) is funding more than $38,000 in grants to Sherwood teachers for the 2014-2015 school year. We are incredibly grateful to Sherwood citizens and businesses who donated the money to make these grants possible.
We are a nonprofit that raises money to enrich education in Sherwood schools. We fund a major artist-in-residence program in our elementary and middle schools and also make grants to individual teachers, who submit proposals for ideas that they want to pursue in their classrooms.
This year we received 18 teacher grants totaling more than $82,000. We were thrilled to be able to fill 12 of these requests (some partially):
- Fourth grade teachers at Archer Glen received a grant to stage My Oregon Report, a play they put on each year to teach students about Oregon history. This year they will add an Oregon Trail overnight experience.
- Dani Aldinger will be able to buy more dulcimers for music education at all four elementary schools.
- We helped fund iPads that the elementary school counseling offices will use to build social and emotional skills with students.
- Once again, we helped keep JA Biztown going for fifth graders. Biztown is a well-loved program that teaches students about the business world.
- We funded marching band drumline and guard coaches at Laurel Ridge.
- We helpd both middle schools and the high school purchase new choir literature.
- We bought a new stop saw for Shawn Lally’s engineering and design students at Sherwood High.
- We helped Sherwood High fund new microscopes for biology classes.
- Sarah McCuster at Sherwood High received funding to purchase Common Core social studies assessments.
- The high school art department received funding for additional digital cameras to support increasingly popular photography classes.
- Liz Barrett at the high school received funding to purchase software and equipment to enhance video production education in its “Only on the Web” class.
Through grants like these and dozens of others over the years, the Sherwood Education Foundation is making a powerful difference in Sherwood classrooms. Learn more about everything we’re doing in Sherwood Schools by visiting our website at sherwoodeducationfoundation.org