SEF Gives Out $22,000 in Teacher Grants
The Sherwood Education Foundation (SEF) is funding more than $22,000 in grants to Sherwood teachers for the 2013-2014 school year. We are incredibly grateful to Sherwood citizens and businesses who donated the money to make these grants possible.
We’re a nonprofit that raises money to enrich education in Sherwood schools. We fund a major artist-in-residence program in our elementary and middle schools and grants to individual teachers, who submit proposals for ideas they want to pursue in their classrooms.
This year we received 15 teacher grants totaling more than $83,000. The grant requests continue to climb as school budgets continue to shrink. We were thrilled to be able to fill 10 of these requests (some partially):
- We helped Katie Locke, Miranda Johnson, and Heidi Patterson purchase additional iPads to help Archer Glen kindergarten students with math and reading.
- We bought exercise balls for Lindsey Hawkins’ first graders at Archer Glen, to help them maintain focus during class.
- We provided funding for the “My Oregon Report” musical and play put on each year by Lori Beymer at Archer Glen, to teach fourth graders Oregon history.
- We funded iPads for Amy Moore at Hopkins, to help improve English language proficiency for the dozens of students struggling to learn English.
- We are helping Middleton Elementary build an an “idea lab,” an innovative, reconfigurable teaching space that will be used for science, technology, engineering, arts, and math education.
- We are funding choir literature for both Sherwood middle schools.
- We are funding choir literature at Sherwood High School.
- Sherwood fifth grade teachers will be able to continue sending kids to Junior Achievement BizTown, a valuable program that helps kids understand how business works.
- At both middle schools, we’re helping to fund Achieve 3000, an online program that students use to improve reading and writing skills.
- We’re funding middle school band drumline and colorguard coaching.
Through grants like these and dozens of others over the years, the Sherwood Education Foundation is making a powerful difference in Sherwood classrooms. Learn more about everything we’re doing in Sherwood Schools by visiting our website at sherwoodeducationfoundation.org